Monday, November 24, 2008

Being Thankful - what I am most thankful for (and interviewing tips)

Tis the season to share what we are most thankful for and I would say my friends and family, my health are what I am most thankful for, but being in the business I am in and being the person that I am I must admit that my career falls not far behind in 3rd place (sometimes in 1st depending on the other categories). In all seriousness I am thankful for working in an environment that meets my needs for a fullfilling career; I have autonomy in my work, am allowed creativity and decision making power as well as mentoring and managing a great team. How did get here? I have to say I am one of those people who firmly believes in the power of positive thinking; that if you focus, write, think and work hard enough towards something it will come. The problem today with people and finding careers that motivate them and meet their motivations is that not everyone knows what they want, are willing to wait it out to get there or do everything it may take to get there.

I know, I know this coming from the person with the job that they love... but hear me out:
Knowing what you want and what motivates you: an employer can tell in an interview you you are answering questions that are being asked because of the formality and you need to work or if you are answering in a way that evokes emotion from the person sitting across from you - are they buying what you are selling more than the last person, do they see the value that you will bring to the table and do you truly believe that you can make a difference and a positive impact? Do your homework, be interested, act engaging and ask questions.

Be positive and know that sometimes less is more. Yes we can tell if you are having a bad day or if you are tired of searching, interviewing etc... so please treat every interview and networking moment as a new way to make your mark and your connection stronger with the person you are meeting with. This will make you memorable (in a good way), but don't forget to follow up with an email or note and be sure to refer back to something that came about in your interview or conversation.

the less is more part - if you have been terminated, let go, downsized or hated your boss and are happy you are out of there... remember less is more. please save the details for the dinner table (with family or friends).

Stay positive, focus on 3-5 things you are thankful for every day (it works for Oprah!)

No comments: